Tuesday 1 May 2012

Wanted: Wading staff...

Went up to Buckden again for an outing last weekend, haven't been out for a while due to work load, and Saturday looked like good weather with the river levels dropping off, so decided a venture was in order.

Had high hopes for the day, which in retrospect bodes very badly...

Most of the time I only ever wade up to my knees at Buckden, but today I ventured further into a deeper pool which looked promising. After fishing straight across and slowly moving down for about 20 minutes I failed to notice the edge of the pool, and slipped off up to my neck in water, thoroughly soaking everything inside my waders...in retrospect I should've called it a day there but I travelled a distance to fish and decided to carry on, despite being freezing! A few failed attempts to dry some of my clothes in the brief sunny spells while freezing in the wind also didn't put me off. It might next time.

Anyways, fished the rest of the day with no luck. Question for any readers: It was reasonably windy this day, and I was fishing a klinkhammer with nymph patterns under, but for some reason I just could not get the klink to sit right in the water. I tried the New Zealand dropper style and having the nymph attached on a dropper about 3 inches above the klink, but neither worked. Any suggestions would be great! Also, any suggestions on where to get a decent wading staff would be appreciated...


1 comment:

  1. I haven't taken a dip since last July, thank god! It's never a fun experience but hey-ho - as an angler, spending as much time as we do in precarious positions around the water, statistically taking the plunge is more or less inevitable at some time or other.
    With regards to your trouble with the klinkhammer,they can be a bugger to get to sit up properly at times, particulary in the larger sizes. I think it becomes more of an issue when the post of the fly gets wet, overbalancing it and flipping the fly over. When fishing NZ style, try tying your nymph dropper to the bend of the hook on your dry fly. The nymph will fish better, plus the weight of it seems to straighten stuff out and make the fly sit up a bit better.
    Tight lines!

    ReplyDelete