Thursday 7 June 2012

Annual guide day

Had my once a year day out with Steve Rhodes of goflyfishinguk.com about a week ago. This is the second time I have been out with Steve and it never disappoints, the vast wealth of knowledge he has, and the fact that (like a true Yorkshire) he tells me I'm casting like an old lady when my line piles in a heap 3ft in front of me always makes for a good day!

Tough conditions for this particular day, but managed 4 fish, including a 1 1/2 pounder on a dry fly which was unbelievable for me! Never forget that full head out of the water rise....

Steve also introduced me to a couple of new techniques. Tried out a tenkara rod, which is tough to get used to but can give the most delicate presentation. Also tried French nymphing, where a 4m nylon leader is used with no fly line out. Again, a different casting technique is needed but the nylon leader means you don't get any disturbance when lifting off.

Because of the success of the day this annual event has now become a bi-annual event, with a day in September already booked. It is worth the money because I get to fish a new stretch of river, learn heaps about entymology, fishing techniques, fly tying and presentation.


Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of the day, this is just a local stream in Meanwood that I didn't know had small brownies in.

No comments:

Post a Comment